Saturday, January 11, 2014

Project Runway Allstars inspirations. Could I design a 6 piece wardrobe for myself and sew it??

Project Runway Allstars just finished its season this past Thursday night. Did you watch it??
It got me thinking could I come up with a 6 or 7 or 8 piece wardrobe collection that I could make for myself. If so what would I like to wear. I have so many patterns I cannot sew by the draping method but I can follow and adjust patterns, I am getting better at figuring out alterations for myself.
So I went down to the 'sewing lab' in my basement and pulled out my stash did some measuring and put together an idea board.
 I am not sure how cohesive these pieces will be but I think I am going to give it a shot and try to come up with a spring wardrobe using this method.

I have some interesting African fabric that is a tie dye. I have seen some western style clothing using this fabric pop up lately on some runway shows. I am going to sew this fabric up in some casual flowy wide legged pants and just make an interesting solid knit top to go with them.
The patterns is: Simplicity 1617

The top I am going to sew up is vogue 8792
The short sleeve all one color version.

Another outfit I have planned is to make a sleeveless shirt and walking shorts.
 I want to make the shorts knee length and out of a brown suede type of fabric. The sleeve less shirt will have a basic brown white check body with a complimentary brown print fabric on the shoulder the front placket and collar. I am going to embroider on the back neck placket as well. There was a Threads magazine from 2009 that is the inspirations for this idea.
I will wear this outfit with a brown jacket I made last year and some tie up oxfords.


















My biggest challenge will be to make the Cynthia Rowley dress 1607 out of another African print fabric..This dress will have many fitting challenges and I may not be able to actually make it out of the fabric I have in mind but I will at least make a sloper of this pattern. The straps intrigue me.











I need a new "long sleeve white blouse" mine will actually be in an off white as that suits my coloring better. I love the Tuxedo look pleating down the front. I have had this pattern for a while so I am going to make it out of some Egyptian cotton I got at a sewing convention this summer. Simplicity 3789 view C


Another top I want to make out of some very drape caramel linen is Vogue P955 another older pattern. If I can find a picture of this pattern I will post it.
Anyways you get the idea the one thing I wont be doing is making all of these clothes in just 4 days. I don't know how those designers could make all of the clothing like they do in such a short time. I just can't pull that off. Stay tuned my creative juices are flowing,.....


No comments:

Post a Comment