Saturday, February 15, 2014

Sewing Blunders can lead to creative process

A while back I decided to make a sleeveless blouse to go with some brown walking shorts I had made. I figured I would whip this baby out in two days- WRONG. I had major fitting issues that I think I figured out but it took some time. I also thought the fabric was a checked cotton. Nope it was polyester and it frayed like mad. I also ended cutting a wee bit too small size for myself. It was bigger in the shoulders and armholes but I still needed more room in the bust dart area. I find pattern fitting so tedious so I postponed the final fitting until I got my Duct tape twin made; Duck tape Dorthy to the rescue.

The Pattern is Butterick 6085. I decided to add a back shoulder panel that I embroidered on appliqued circles with a new gadget I had bought for my Singer which by the way works on my Brother machine. I also decided I wanted to make the under collar and the front facing out of coordinating print fabrics. I ended up having to add fabric panels on each side seam to add some movement room and to get rid of the frayed seams. The bottom of the garment had also frayed so I added bias binding the same that I used on the armholes. I moved the buttons down and made them 2 inches apart because I wanted to eliminate bust-line gaposis.This blouse will go with my brown shorts and I am planning on making a brown and tan print skirt. I am big into mixing prints in my statement pieces. Hope you like it.
I will model it once I add the buttonholes and buttons........


No comments:

Post a Comment